The Poor Traveler’s
Guide to the World!
You see, when we started traveling in 2009, we made a lot of poor choices. We made a lot of mistakes. We had absolutely no clue how to plan a trip. We got lost all the time, got scammed all the time, and ended up spending way more than we should.
We created this blog to accomplish two things:
- document our misadventures, and
- provide FREE travel tips so others can avoid wasting hard-earned money when they travel
Our goal is to build FREE travel guides, where we can share our experiences and whatever lessons we pick up along the way. This blog is for the poor travelers out there — the newbies, the first-timers, the lost and confused, the shy and socially awkward, the navigationally-challenged, and those who can’t afford to make costly mistakes.
- having little or insufficient money or other means of support;
- unlucky, unfortunate;
- lacking in skill or ability;
What makes our blog click
is that we are
Like most people, we’re casual travelers, not hardcore backpackers. We’re vacation-goers, not long-term nomads. We enjoy solo adventures, but we also love sightseeing with friends and family.
Our primary audience is composed mainly of 21-45 yo. full-time employees who wish to take a break from work. They are budget-conscious, yes, but they are willing to spend hard-earned money on experiences that are worth it.
We’re not in the business of promoting the cheapest ways to travel. But we are on a journey to find the many ways to travel smart.
Our 1-MILLION-strong base is one of the largest travel blog communities on Facebook, and it’s still growing fast. Our consistent search- and social-driven traffic has put us among the top travel blogs.
#1 Budget Travel Blog
USA TODAY: 10 BEST
#1 Best Travel Blog in Asia
#7 Top Travel Blog (Global)
No. 1 in USA Today’s list of 10 Best Budget Travel Blogs in the World.
No. 1 in GoDesti’s list of Best Travel Blogs in Asia.
No. 2 in Bob Around the World’s list of Top Budget Travel Blogs in the World based on content, social media, etc.
No. 4 in The Expeditioner’s list of Top Travel Blogs in the World according to unique visits.
No. 4 and No. 5 in Man On the Lam’s list of Top 100 Travel Blog Posts based on social media shares.
No. 6 in ASEAN Up’s list of Top 50 Blogs from the Philippines.
No. 10 in Saga Holidays’ list of Top 10 Travel Blogs for Senior Travelers.
One of TripAdvisor’s Top 20 Budget Travel Bloggers.
In addition, we have been cited by the following organizations and publications:
- Top 10 Filipino Bloggers to Follow on Snapchat, The Huffington Post.
- Top 5 Budget Travel Blogs to Look Out For in 2015, Tripoto
- Top 7 Filipino Blogs to Follow, Freedom Wall
- Top 7 Thrifty Travel Bloggers, Low Cost Holidays
- Top 10 Backpacking Sites and Budget Travel Blogs, OOAWorld.
- Top 10 Interesting Travel Blogs, LifeHack.org
- Top 10 Accounts to Follow Online, Leisure + Adventure Magazine
- Top 10 World’s Best Travel Blogs of 2014, Lists For All
- Top 10 Travel Blogs to Feed Your Wanderlust, The Fitrepreneur
- 15 Pro Bloggers Who Are Rocking Their Niche, AdPushUp.
- Top 20 Budget Travel Bloggers of 2015, HolidayLettings.co.uk.
- 25 Travel Bloggers You Need to Watch Today, Adventuring Out
- Top 25 Travel Bloggers To Follow In 2016, Two Monkeys Travel Group
- Top 25 Budget Travel Bloggers to Follow in 2014, FlipKey by TripAdvisor
- Top 25 Travel Blogs, Listly
- 25 Filipino Travel Bloggers Who Will Inspire Your Inner Wanderlust, BuzzFeed
- 30 Amazing Filipino Instagrammers You Need To Follow Right Now, BuzzFeed
- Top 40 Filipino Travel Blogs You Should Follow, Two Monkeys Travel
- 56 Filipino Travel Instagrammers, Destination Cebu
- Top 50 Travel Blogs based on site traffic and social media presence, TraveloCafe.
- Top 100 Travel Blogs 2017, The Smart Lad
- Top 150 Travel Blogs in the World, The Start of Happiness
- Top 10 Japan Travel Blogs, Take Lessons
- Top Filipino Travel Bloggers, HomeAway
Our partner website PhilippineBeaches.org,
with 1.4 million likes on Facebook,
was Asia’s biggest travel/leisure page based on 2012 SocialBakers data.
We strive to make each of our posts informative, entertaining, or both. We do our best to add value to our readers’ user experience and be as useful as we can. We believe our content is why our readers trust our blog and share our articles. We are protective of our content and have always held it sacred.
We have been featured on BBC World‘s The Travel Show, CNN‘s list of Top Travel Bloggers, and TIME, among others.
and in print
Here are some of our awards and recognitions:
Winner – Best Travel Blog
E! BLOG AWARDS 2017
NUFFNANG AWARDS 2016
NUFFNANG AWARDS 2018
Winner – Best Budget Travel Blog
ON ASSIGNMENT: PARIS
WORLD TOURISM FORUM ISTANBUL 2016
TBEX ASIA 2022 (THAILAND)
TBEX EUROPE 2023 (GREECE)
GoNegosyo Inspiring Tourism Entrepreneurs Awards 2023
Co-founder Yosh Dimen has also won a Palanca Award, often regarded as the “Pulitzer Prize of the Philippines” and the most prestigious literary honor in the country, in the Screenplay category.
Dimen has also received 3 Philippine Blog Awards out of nine nominations (for this blog and his personal blog Yoshke.com) and won On Assignment – Paris, the travel writing project by Digital Photographer Magazine and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines.
We have been featured on many magazines including TIME, Travel Now, Navigator, and Mabuhay Magazine. See our print portfolio here.
Trivia: The name of this blog was inspired by Charles Dickens’s The Seven Poor Travelers, a short piece that narrates the events at a charity house that provides shelter to broke travelers for a night. On that night, the seventh poor traveler relates a story from his journeys. It is this spirit of storytelling that we wish to capture and share on this blog.
Also featured on:
- How to be a travel blogger: The pros share their tips, CNN
- An Analysis on the Top 50 Travel Blogs, Mel365
- So Why Fi, A Talk on Internet Advocacy, UP Broadcast Association
- I Want to Travel Forever: 15 Travel Bloggers Tell You How to Do It, JustOneWayTicket
- How to succeed as a travel blogger: Interview with The Poor Traveler, Columbus Direct
- Top 37 Hidden Tourist Spots in the Philippines Travel Pros Rave About, Traveloka
Our content and reach are why we have worked with some of the biggest corporations and industry leaders in Asia:
AirAsia, Traveloka, and Expedia among others.
We’ve Worked With