Hi there! We’re Yoshke & Vins!
Welcome to The Poor Traveler, the rich blog for the budget traveler.
We’re full-time travelers, but we’re not always like that. Like most people, we had day jobs and could only travel on weekends and holidays. We know how it feels to work hard and look forward to spending limited time and money on travel. When we were starting out, we made a lot of mistakes. We got lost all the time, got scammed all the time, and ended up spending more than we should. We created this blog to accomplish two things: (1) document our misadventures, and (2) provide budget travel tips so others won’t have to waste hard-earned money when they travel. That’s how THE POOR TRAVELER blog was born.
We’re not in the business of promoting the cheapest ways to travel. But we are on a journey to find and share what gives the best value for money. For us, it shouldn’t always be about the price. And if you can help the local economy by patronizing local products and spending a little more, do so.
But over the last six years, The Poor Traveler has emerged as one of the biggest travel blogs in the world in terms of traffic and social media presence.
What makes our blog click
is that we are relatable.
Like most people,
we’re casual travelers, not hardcore backpackers.
We’re vacation-goers, not long-term nomads.
We enjoy solo adventures,
but we also love sightseeing with friends and family.
And although we’re a budget travel blog,
our primary audience is composed mainly of
21-45 yo full-time professionals
who wish to take a break from work.
They are budget-conscious
but are willing to spend hard-earned money
on experiences that are worth it.
Success in numbers
Our 600,000-strong base is one of the largest travel blog communities on Facebook, and it’s still growing fast. Our consistent search- and social-driven traffic has put us among the top travel blogs.
- No. 1 in USA Today’s list of 10 Best Budget Travel Blogs in the World.
- No. 1 in GoDesti’s list of Best Travel Blogs in Asia.
- No. 2 in Bob Around the World’s list of Top Budget Travel Blogs in the World based on content, social media, etc.
- No. 4 and No. 5 in Man On the Lam’s list of Top 100 Travel Blog Posts based on social media shares.
- No. 6 in The Expeditioner’s list of Top Travel Blogs in the World according to unique visits.
- No. 6 in ASEAN Up’s list of Top 50 Blogs from the Philippines.
- No. 10 in Saga Holidays’ list of Top 10 Travel Blogs for Senior Travelers.
- One of TripAdvisor’s Top 20 Budget Travel Bloggers.
In addition, we have been cited by the following organizations and publications:
- Top 10 Filipino Bloggers to Follow on Snapchat, The Huffington Post.
- Top 5 Budget Travel Blogs to Look Out For in 2015, Tripoto
- Top 7 Filipino Blogs to Follow, Freedom Wall
- Top 7 Thrifty Travel Bloggers, Low Cost Holidays
- Top 10 Backpacking Sites and Budget Travel Blogs, OOAWorld.
- Top 10 Interesting Travel Blogs, LifeHack.org
- Top 10 Accounts to Follow Online, Leisure + Adventure Magazine
- Top 10 World’s Best Travel Blogs of 2014, Lists For All
- Top 10 Travel Blogs to Feed Your Wanderlust, The Fitrepreneur
- 15 Pro Bloggers Who Are Rocking Their Niche, AdPushUp.
- Top 15 Asian Travel Blogs to Follow in 2015, Ampersand Travel.
- Top 20 Budget Travel Bloggers of 2015, HolidayLettings.co.uk.
- 25 Travel Bloggers You Need to Watch Today, Adventuring Out
- Top 25 Travel Bloggers To Follow In 2016, Two Monkeys Travel Group
- Top 25 Travel Blogs To Follow In 2015, Kickass Travel
- Top 25 Budget Travel Bloggers to Follow in 2014, FlipKey by TripAdvisor
- Top 25 Travel Blogs, Listly
- 25 Filipino Travel Bloggers Who Will Inspire Your Inner Wanderlust, BuzzFeed
- 30 Amazing Filipino Instagrammers You Need To Follow Right Now, BuzzFeed
- Top 30 Best Travel Blogs of 2014, Wanderu
- Top 40 Filipino Travel Blogs You Should Follow, Two Monkeys Travel
- Top 50 Travel Blogs Everyone Should Read, Want2Discover
- 56 Filipino Travel Instagrammers, Destination Cebu
- Top 50 Travel Blogs based on site traffic and social media presence, TraveloCafe.
- Top 100 Travel Blogs 2017, The Smart Lad
- Top 150 Travel Blogs in the World, The Start of Happiness
- Top 10 Japan Travel Blogs, Take Lessons
- Top Filipino Travel Bloggers, HomeAway
- Top Travel Bloggers and Influencers 2016, Mythic Trails
Our partner website PhilippineBeaches.org, with 1.5 million likes on Facebook, was Asia’s biggest travel/leisure page based on 2012 SocialBakers data.
Content comes first
We strive to make each of our posts informative, entertaining, or both. We do our best to add value to our readers’ user experience and be as useful as we can. We believe our content is why our readers trust our blog and share our articles. We are protective of our content and have always held it sacred.
We have been featured on BBC World‘s The Travel Show and CNN‘s list of Top Travel Bloggers, among others.
On plaques and in print
Here are some of our awards and recognitions:
- Best Budget Travel Blog, USA Today
- Best Travel Blog, E! Channel Blog Awards
- Best Travel Blog, Nuffnang Blog Awards
- Best Travel Blog in Asia, GoDesti Awards 2015
Co-founder Yoshke Dimen has also received 3 Philippine Blog Awards out of nine nominations (for this blog and his personal blog Yoshke.com). Most recently, Dimen won the On Assignment travel writing project by Digital Photographer Magazine and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines.
We have contributed to and been featured on many magazines including Travel Now, Navigator, and Mabuhay Magazine. See our print portfolio here.
- Finalist, Best Travel Blog, Webtogs Blog Awards 2015
- Finalist, Best Photo Post, Philippine Blog Awards 2011
Also featured on:
- How to be a travel blogger: The pros share their tips, CNN
- An Analysis on the Top 50 Travel Blogs, Mel365
- So Why Fi, A Talk on Internet Advocacy, UP Broadcast Association
- I Want to Travel Forever: 15 Travel Bloggers Tell You How to Do It, JustOneWayTicket
- How to succeed as a travel blogger: Interview with The Poor Traveler, Columbus Direct
- Trip Abroad? 21 Travel Pros Share Money Saving Tips, Traveloka
In good company
Our content and reach are why we have worked with some of the biggest corporations and industry leaders in Asia: AirAsia, Expedia, Globe Telecom, Philippine Airlines, and Tiger Airways among others.
We have also spoken at the World Tourism Forum 2016 in Istanbul.
Trivia: The name of this blog was inspired by Charles Dickens’s The Seven Poor Travelers, a short piece that narrates the events at a charity house that provides shelter to broke travelers for a night. On that night, the seventh poor traveler relates a story from his journeys. It is this spirit of storytelling that we wish to capture and share on this blog.
Advertise with us!
We are open to banner advertisements, ex-deals, social media promotions/online contests, and other forms of partnerships. For the rate card, please get in touch with Yoshke Dimen at email@example.com