Okay, let’s go straight to the point.

Not everyone is eligible to apply for a Turkish e-visa. It is only available to those who have a valid visa or residence permit from the United States (USA), the United Kingdom (UK), Ireland, or any Schengen country.

I was surprised to learn about this because when I visited Turkey last year, I was able to get an e-visa using my Japan visa and the application was smooth as butter. Back then, they accepted any visa from OECD countries. I guess they narrowed down the list of accepted supporting visas recently. Too bad!

Vins, all smiles while we walk around Istanbul

If you’re not holding a valid visa from any of the mentioned countries, I’m afraid you will have to apply for a sticker visa at the Turkish Embassy. Unfortunately, I can’t be of much help regarding that because I didn’t get to experience it. All I know is that the application begins by filling out this form: Turkey Visa Application Form.

If you’re holding a valid US/UK/Ireland/Schengen visa or residence permit, read on. Here are the steps to get a visa completely online!

The process is the same for all these nationalities including Filipinos, although they might be a few changes in the prerequisites and duration of validity so please pay attention to details during your application.

Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Benin, Bhutan, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, China, Comoros, Congo, Republic of the Congo, the Democratic Republic of the Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Greek Cypriot Administration of Southern Cyprus, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Kuwait, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Rwanda, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, São Tomé and Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, United Arab Emirates (UAE), United Kingdom (UK), Vanuatu, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe

1. Visit Turkey’s E-Visa Application Website.

The address is: www.evisa.gov.tr/en/.

Once it loads, enter your country, passport type, and security verification code.

2. Enter your travel date.

Your travel date must be within the next 3 months. You won’t be able to choose a date beyond that.

If you’re traveling over three months from now, you will have to wait until your travel date becomes clickable.

The validity of the e-visa will also be displayed. For example, in my case, since I’m holding a Philippine passport, my visa will be valid for 6 months (180 days), which means I can enter Turkey anytime within that period. Not to be confused with the allowed “length of stay”, which is only 30 days. Again, that means I can enter Turkey within the next 6 months, but once I do, I can only remain there not longer than 30 days.

3. Make sure you meet all the requirements.

The next page will display the list of prerequisites. You must meet ALL these requirements and be able to present them on your day of travel. Do not lie. Even if you’re granted an e-visa now, they may still deny you entry if you miss any of the following.

• You have a valid passport that covers your travel period. (In PH case, your passport must also have at least 6-month validity.)
  • A return ticket.
  • Hotel reservation.
  • Funds of at least USD 50 per day of your stay in Turkey.
  • Valid supporting document. This may be a valid visa or residence permit from the US, UK, Ireland, or any Schengen country. In case I haven’t emphasized it enough, the visa has to be valid. It must also be in physical sticker form, not electronic. E-visas, even if they’re valid, will not be accepted. You will be showing it when you enter the country.

You won’t be submitting the return ticket or hotel reservation online or at any point during your application. You will be presenting these (and the supporting document) to the Immigration Officers at the airport upon entering the country.

E-visas are available for tourism and business purposes only.

4. Complete the Application Form.

On the next page, fill out the short form with your personal details. It is important that you enter information exactly as they appear on your passport.

In case the info on your passport doesn’t match that on your e-visa, the e-visa will be considered void, so be very careful in typing your details.

When you click Save and Continue, you will be asked to verify the info you entered. Make sure you double check that the details are exactly as they are on your passport.

Click Verify.

5. Check Your Email.

You should receive an email asking you to verify your application. Click Approve.

If you don’t receive an email, check your Spam or Junk folder.

6. Make payment.

When you click Approve on your email, you will be taken to the payment page. Fill out the short form and pay.

The price of the visa isUSD 20, payable using MasterCard, Visa, or UnionPay credit card.

7. Download your e-Visa.

Once the transaction is completed, you will be taken to a page that will tell you that the process is over and that the e-visa is ready for download. Click Download your E-Visa and you’ll get a PDF file. Print it out and voila! There’s your e-visa. The same file will be emailed to you separately.

The visa looks like this:

When I used it, the first thing the Immigration Officer asked me was if I was a Seafarer. I answered no, then he asked for my passport and supporting visa. Since my supporting visa was in my old, previous passport (which I always bring with me), I had to hand him that one too. He also checked my onward ticket — I was flying to Morocco next — looked at it very briefly, asked how long I would be staying in Turkey, and let me through. No other questions.

That’s it! Enjoy your stay in Turkey!

Comments

1. Jun says:

Anong ibig sabihin nang VALID SCHENGEN VISA? Ibig bang sabihin nito ay hindi pa expired? So kung may SCHENGEN VISA ako last 2014, di na po ba pwedeng gamitin ito as one of my documents? Salamat po.

Yep, hindi pa expired dapat. And nope, you can’t use your 2014 Schengen visa if expired/used na sya.

2. Mel says:

There’s no need for interview/appearance sa embassy? Yung printed copy lang po ang dadalhin and just show to immigration officer? I dont need to attach it (like staple it) sa passport? Thank you po.

If you have any of the supporting docs listed above, no need for interview.

Just print out a copy and show it to Immigration Officer. No need to staple it.

3. Chaps says:

Hello. Thank you for this article.
    I hold a valid B1/B2 US Visa. I am planning to go this July 2018. When i followed your instruction i can like apply and e-visa will be up to Aug 5,2018 (which is fine).
    Question. Is the flight details or ticket and bank certificate needed during the e-visa application?
    Thank you.

4. Mimi says:

With this Visa, can you visit other Schengen countries like Germany, Switzerland or France? I had several schengen visas from other embassies like (Swiss and German). Just making sure if it’s the same as this Turkish Schengen visa. Thanks in advance :)

No, for those countries, you will need an actual Schengen Visa.

To clarify, this is not a Turkish Schengen Visa. This is Turkish Visa. Turkey is not part of the Schengen agreement.

5. james says:

Hi, I don’t understand. Does it mean I need to have either a US, UK or Schengen visa as a requirement to enter Turkey? What if I don’t have any of the Visas mentioned?

Yep, you need any of the supporting visas mentioned for an E-Visa. If you don’t have any of them, you need to apply for a physical visa at their consulate.

6. Elaine says:

hi. we applied for evisa, kaso nakalimutan e enter yung middle name, is the visa still valid or do we need to make new one?

Thanks!

7. KS says:

regarding the airplane ticket… im thinking of getting one of those temporary ones (which you can refund if the visa doesnt get approved)..

so my question is, if my ticket when I enter Turkey is different from the one I presented during the application would this be an issue?

thanks!

Hi KS, you won’t be submitting the return ticket or hotel reservation online or at any point during your application. You will be presenting these (and the supporting document) to the Immigration Officers at the airport upon entering the country.

So it really doesn’t matter. :)

8. Kat says:

Hi Yoshke!

For the 50 USD fund per day. Should it be in form of bank certificate or actual cash may be presented to the immigration officer?

Hi Kat! Hmmm, I’m not sure kasi when I entered Turkey, kahit na requirement siya, the officer didn’t ask me how much money I have with me. He just asked me how long I would be staying, checked my onward ticket and hotel booking, and then let me through.

I think it can be either. Cash might be yung mas expected but for longer stays, if they ask for proof of funds on the spot, I think they would also consider a bank certificate and then show them your ATM card. Pero safer I think if may cash component. Again, that’s just a hunch kasi they never asked me.

Not sure if this will help, but the next country I visited after this was Morocco. Sila, nag-ask sila how much money I had. I said I only had a few hundred dollars, and then I showed my ATM and credit cards. They let me through. Pero this was in Morocco. Baka iba rin policy nila.

9. Tikya says:

Hi

It will be my first time to travel to turkey and planning a one week vacation. Im not a traveller and i only been to hongkong… Im also just a minimum or a little average earner. How much money should i have in d bank so that embassy will accept my visa application…

appreciate your input. thanks!

Hi! I don’t know how much you should have if you’re applying for a physical visa. I only experienced applying for an e-visa, which doesn’t require a bank account.

10. Nomadbabe says:

Hi.

I am planning to visit Turkey and stay there for 10 days. I was denied of UK Standard visa so I’m afraid I’ll be denied again with Turkey. If I need to apply for a physical visa at the consulate, is there an interview process? Is it tedious? Is the payment the same as the e-visa application?

Thanks!

Hi Nomadbabe, I haven’t tried applying for a physical visa so I dunno… :(

11. Ethel says:

hello ask lang if holding a Philippines passport but traveling from a different country like singapore, the region of your travel document would still be philippines or singapore?

• Teltel says:

Hi question, do i need to write my middle name? if yes, where should I put it?
        And do I also need to write my mother’s and father’s name with surname?

Thanks in advance.

12. Jenny boado says:

Hi po! Did Turkey immigration ask for med insurance together with the evisa? Thank you

13. Mikee says:

Hello… regarding the evisa… i already printed the visa and the receipt… but the problem is i did not receive link in my email… okay lang po ba yun??? Thank you

Hi Mikee, it should be fine if successful naman. But have you checked your Spam folder? If wala talaga and you have a reference number, you can check your application here: https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/status/

If wala ka reference number, may contact form din dun sa site.

14. Sha says:

Valid–meaning the visa must be double or multiple entry, right? I was planning to go to Turkey after London, so if I only have a single-entry visa, then it would invalid by the time I enter Turkey, am I right? :( :/

15. Shobe says:

Hi! I have approved e-visa na. But nakalagay dito need raw valid medical insurance? Did u get one? Kasi may ibang blogs ako nakita di naman nila sinabi na its important. May isa din sabi its not really compulsory to get one. Pero sa e-visa nakalagay talaga na “u should be covered with a valid e-visa”.. Pls help im confused.

Hi Shobe, ako hindi kasi walang naka-list sa akin na needed yun. Pero if nasa list mo yun, kuha ka na lang din.

16. SJ says:

Hi. just want to ask do you have any idea if your US Visa is a Working Visa, Still can do E-Turkish visa?