Proof of funds, often called show money, is one of the most common and the most important requirements in visa applications.
Whether you’re applying for a Korean visa, Japanese visa, UK visa, Canadian visa, Australian visa, or Schengen visa, you will need to submit documents that will prove that you have the financial means to support your trip.
Two of the documents you can use are bank certificate and bank statement. These are very different documents. But what’s the difference? And which of them can give you better chances of approval?
WHAT'S COVERED IN THIS GUIDE?
Bank Certificate vs Bank Statement
- A bank certificate is usually a one-page document that certifies that you have an account with that branch. Often, the latest available balance is indicated. But in some banks, you can request that some details be included.
- A bank statement is a detailed record of the balance and the transactions on that account within a specified period of time. It includes the amounts deposited into, the amounts withdrawn from, and even the interests gained by that account, and the corresponding dates.
Which is better for visa application?
Embassies have varying sets of requirements that they need visa applicants to meet. What’s better is whatever is required by the embassy. For example:
- For Japan visa, only a bank certificate is required.
- For Australian visa and Canadian visa, only a bank statement is required.
- For Korean visa, Chinese visa, Schengen visa and many other visas, BOTH a bank certificate AND a bank statement are required.
For bank statements, the number of months to be covered varies. Some embassies need to see the transactions within the past three months (Korea), some four months (Canada), and others six months (Schengen: Greek, Italian, French; China). It’s usually specifically indicated in the list of visa requirements.
However, in most cases, it’s a great idea to submit both rather than just one.
How to get a bank certificate or bank statement?
Just head over to your bank and request for it.
Different banks have different rules. For example, in my experience with BDO, I always had to go to the specific branch where I opened my account. I can’t get a bank certificate or bank statement from any other branch.
On the other hand, with BPI, I can get a bank certficate/statement from any of their branch. I don’t need to travel to my main branch to request for it.
Service fees usually apply. Try to get a copy of the official receipt too because some embassies require that it be attached to the actual document.
How much money should I have on my bank account to have my visa application approved?
We answered that and many other questions about SHOW MONEY in this post: SHOW MONEY FOR VISA APPLICATION & IMMIGRATION!
Related Visa and Immigration Posts
- SHOW MONEY for Visa Application & Immigration
- Why Having a SPONSOR can be BAD for Visa Application & Immigration
- Common Reasons why Visa Applications are DENIED!
- How to Prepare for VISA APPLICATION (Long Term Tips)
- FIRST TIME ABROAD: Immigration Tips
- How to Avoid Getting OFFLOADED: Immigration Requirements & Tips
2020 • 1 • 8
Hello, i have asked various bloggers but no reply. re schengen visa: can i submit the downloadable e-certificate and e-statement from digital banks such as CIMB, ING, Tonik apps? I don’t have a physical bank. Thank you.
We don’t know for sure because we haven’t tried digital banks. But tinatanggap naman nila yung e-statement ng BPI na downloaded lang din (although nagsusubmit din kasi kami ng physically signed na bank certificate kasabay nun so baka kaya ganun).
I know someone na nagsubmit ng printed out na PayPal transactions sa Norwegian embassy, tinanggap naman daw. Pero di ko alam if tinatanggap talaga nila in general or sinwerte lang sya.
Thank you and more power!
hi! do you have an idea how long is the validity of bank cert/statement (Korean visa)? for example bank statement is dated Aug 1, can I still use it for my visa application by September?
Hi Angela, one of the designated agencies we talked to before told us, ideally it should be issued within a month prior to application date.
Not sure if that still holds true now.
Hello tintwagan ba ang bank para iclarify if naka enroll ka sa bank na yun? For tourist vis aapplication
From your experience po,when you request for your BDO bank certificate / bank statement..ilang days po nila marelease after your request..thank you
Usually same day. Hihintayin mo lang, ipiprint na nila. Pero may time na pinabalik ako the next day. haha. Pero ngayon iniinsist ko talaga na same day.