Whether you’re applying for a Japan Tourist Visa or a Visit Visa, the first thing you need to do is to get hold of a copy of the application form and fill it out appropriately. You can get a copy from the agency where you will be applying. But if you want to take care of it before you go to the agency, you can download a copy of the application form below with instructions.

Download the form here

Japan Visa Application Form

How to Fill Out Japan Visa Application Form

First, a few important reminders.

• Complete the form either by hand or electronically. Either is accepted. If you go the hand-written route, make sure that you write in block letters and that they are readable.
  • In fields that don’t apply to you, write NA. Don’t leave any field blank.
  • Print the form in an A4-size paper. Other sizes will be rejected.
  • Paste a photo on the designated area. PASTE! DO NOT STAPLE! The photo must have been taken within the past 6 months.
  • Use a black pen or font. Do not use pencil or one of those erasable pens.
  • Avoid erasures! If it can’t be helped, use double line (2 strikethroughs). If there are too many erasures, start over. Never ever use correction tape or liquid.
  • Here are some parts of the form that you might have questions about. For the purpose of explanation, I filled out the form in big blue letters just to make it obvious. But when you complete your form, use BLACK.

1. Given and middle names: Write both your given name AND your middle name (your mom’s last name).
    2. Other names: If you have a pen name or nickname or if you’re known by any other name, write it down. If none, write N/A.
    3. Place of birth: If you have no province and you’re born in Metro Manila, write METRO MANILA. For example, if you were born in Makati, write: Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines.
    4. Former and/or other nationalities or citizenships: Only if you have one. Write N/A if you have none.
    5. ID No. issued to you by your government: Any government-issued ID will do. I have tried using UMID. My cousin used Driver’s License. A few times, I wrote the passport number here too, I didn’t have any problem.
    6. Passport type: Ordinary.
    7. Passport number: Double check. Make sure it’s correct.
    8. Place of issue: You can write the city name. In the case of Manila, you can write MANILA. You can also be specific. I usually write DFA NCR EAST, because that’s what’s on my passport.
    9. Issuing authority: DFA.
    10. Purpose of visit to Japan: If applying as a tourist, write TOURISM. If you’re visiting a friend or family, write VISIT FRIEND/FAMILY.
    11. Intended length of stay in Japan: Number of days including the day of arrival.
    12. Port of entry into Japan: Name of the airport. It can be Kansai, Narita, Chitose, etc.
    13. Name of ship or airline: Just the name of the airline or the ship. It doesn’t matter if you’re already booked or not. If you’re concerned about funds, write a low-cost carrier like CEBU PACIFIC or JETSTAR.
    14. Names and addresses of hotels or persons with whom applicant intends to stay: If applying as a tourist, write down the name, address and telephone number of your hotel. If you don’t know the exact address or telephone number of your hotel, Google it! If applying to visit someone in Japan, write their name, address, and contact number.
    15. Dates and duration of previous stays in Japan. Write N/A if it’s your first time in Japan. If you’ve been to Japan before write the inclusive dates of your previous visits and the number of days. If you’ve been to Japan many times and it won’t fit, use a separate sheet and indicate it on the form.
    16. Your current residential address: If you have more than one address, list them all on a separate sheet.
    17. Telephone number: If you don’t have a landline number, write N/A.
    18. Current profession or occupation and position: Be truthful! If your current occupation or position doesn’t match the ITR you’re submitting (for example, you moved to another company), you can write a letter explaining it.
    19. Partner’s profession/occupation: If you’re single and of legal age, write N/A. If you’re married, write the profession of your partner. If for a minor, write the profession or occupation of parents.
    20. Guarantor/Inviter Info: If you’re applying as a tourist and you’re shouldering all expenses, write N/A in ALL of the fields. If you have a guarantor, write their details. If the guarantor is the same as the inviter, write SAME AS ABOVE in the INVITER fields.
    21. If you answered “Yes” to any of the above questions, please provide relevant details: If you answered NO to all the questions, write N/A.
    22. Signature: Sign it by hand. I’m not sure if digital signatures are accepted, but I doubt it. If the applicant is minor, a parent or legal guardian can sign, but the relationship must be indicated below the signature.

Other Japan Visa Requirements

To see the other requirements, visit this page: JAPAN VISA REQUIREMENTS

Comments

1. Kairu says:

Do i have to mention about my children or only my self and a husband? I dont see in the form about the children please answer my question thank you.

• Zarina says:

Hi sir, base sa nabasa Kong information galing po sa inyong blog. Regarding po sa “BANK CERTIFICATE issued 3months before”. Eh ung sakin po Kasi mag request palang ako today April 23, 2019 then tomorrow April 24, 2019 sya ma release. Balak ko po Sana straight nako sa Japan Embassy sa Manila. Isubmit ko na po together with other documents. Possible po ba na ma approve ako kahit recent palang ung bank Certificate ko?

Hi Zarina, that’s perfectly fine.

I think you misunderstood. It’s NOT “issued 3 months before.” It should be issued within the past 3 months.

• Shai says:

Ask ko lang, malaki ba chance na ma denied yung application mo pag may mga na leave ka na blank? like; other names, tel.no etc.?

2. arielyn says:

hi, if issued ung birth certificate last nov 2017 and mag apply ako visa this december 2018, pwede pa kaya i-allow yun?

3. Jojee M. says:

Hi! What if i write down three addresses and they don’t fit in the space provided? should i just attach a separate piece of paper?

4. Samantha De Castro says:

Hi, my ticket was from Manila to Osaka, but when I applied visa, I indicated that port if entry is Narita. will this be accepted?

Accepted where? If sa visa application, dapat consistent.

If na-grant ka na ng visa pero iba ung entry point mo sa dineclare mo, I think ok lang un.

5. Arth says:

Pno kung kktpos lng ng contract s ibang bnsa as ofw, gusto mg apply ano illgay s profession no.16 in application form, tnx

Hi Arth, kung ako po nasa lugar nyo, kung ano po yung profession nyo abroad kahit na tapos na contract. Pero ako lang po yun.

6. Gie says:

Okei lang po kung hindi nailagay ang sign by mother/father dun sa signature?

7. Michiko says:

My Guarantor po ako. Tapos dun sa mismong visa application yung sa may work ko now, my need ba ko ipasa na itr? Kasi dun sa instruction mo sabi mo dapat my need ako isubmit. If meron saan ko po pwede kunin?

If your current occupation or position doesn’t match the ITR you’re submitting.

Thanks!

Hi Michiko, if the ITR and current employment don’t match, you need to write a letter explaining that you recently moved to a new company etc.

8. Aquajennie says:

Hi sir.
      Ask ko po. Bf ko po is my Japanese guarantor
      Dun sa no.19 ilalagay ko ba N/A or ilalagay yung last na occupation nya?
      Retired na po BF ko.

Hi Aquajennie, I think #19 is for married lang so NA pa rin. Ask mo na lang din agency to be sure.

9. Cathy says:

Ask ko lng
      Dba Pag first tym mag apply ng late rigestration , dba need ng form 137 and baptismal , tpos ipasa na ung both original non….
      So pano Po pag pang second apply na Po need pa ba ulit ng both original ng form 137 at baptismal sa pangalawang apply ng visa Po ?

10. chrys says:

Napaka-useful nitong blog mo. Ang daming kong nakuhang tips. Napakalinaw ng explanation. Thanks!!! Taga-West ka ga?

11. shehroz says:

hey hello.. my name shehroz, im apply japan visa. please tell me how to apply japan visa and which document required to visa.

12. Charlene says:

Hello. Reg. sa ID Number, do I have to put the specified ID after the number? Or basta number lang?

13. Donna says:

Hello! Ask ko lang yung guarantor ko is my sister and she is working as “Seafarer” or seawoman.
      Sa Royal Caribbean Cruise siya. Problem is wala silang ITR. anong pwede pa ipasa aside sa bank certificate? payslip nila or contract? Ano pwede ipalit sa ITR? pls reply. thanks

Hi Donna, ang alam ko, pwede sya magsulat ng explanation letter. Tapos submit ng other docs in its stead like payslip or COE. :)

Pero best to consult a travel agency kasi mas alam nila ang dapat gawin.

• Donna says:

OK. Another question is yung sa visa application form na “if you have guarantor” dun ko ba i-ffill up yung name ng sister ko (taga dito siya Phils) or its applicable lang sa mga nakatira sa Japan? should i put N/a.

Hi Donna, iba-iba yung stance ng travel agencies about that. May nagsasabi na ilagay ay N/A kasi para lang daw yan pag sa Japan ung guarantor. Meron naman nagsasabi na ilagay dyan ung guarantor kahit nasa Pilipinas. Tawag ka na lang sa agency kung saan ka mag-aapply kasi medyo iba-iba talaga.

14. fatima says:

Hello
      i really need some advice i am from pakistan n my brother applied for japan visa since last year through some sponsor and from last two months he said you will get your visa very soon but all in vain.kindly tell me wat ll we do to do to find out whether he applied or not

Hi Fatima,

I’m sorry but I’m not familiar with the process when it comes to other nationalities. :(

15. Inna says:

Hi po. Kapag po ba ang guarantor is nakatira sa Philippines, kailangan po ilagay yung name sa Guarantor / reference in Japan? Or yung section po na yun is for guarantor who lives in Japan?

Hi Inna, iba-iba yung stance ng travel agencies about that. May nagsasabi na ilagay ay N/A kasi para lang daw yan pag sa Japan ung guarantor. Meron naman nagsasabi na ilagay dyan ung guarantor kahit nasa Pilipinas. Tawag ka na lang sa agency kung saan ka mag-aapply kasi medyo iba-iba talaga.

16. Ysa says:

Hi Yoshke,

If visiting multiple cities, e.g. Osaka, Nagoya & Tokyo, dapat ba ilagay name and address ng lahat ng accommodations? or kahit yung sa port of entry lang?

Thanks!

Hi Ysa, di ko alam kung ano ba dapat ang gawin pero ang parati kong ginagawa kapag multi-city, isa lang ang nilalagay ko sa form tapos the rest ay sa Schedule of Stay (Daily Itinerary) ko na nilalagay. Tinatanggap and naaapprove naman.

17. Aire says:

Hi Yoshke,

I want to apply for the Japan visa for the first time now while I still have my job so I can provide the requirements needed like COE and ITR. But truthfully, I really wanna quit my job na pagktapos, so say for example, I’m lucky to get approved, do you think there’s a huge chance for me to be offloaded by the Immigration during my flight date kasi kahit may approved visa ako eh I cant present any work documents na kasi I was only employed upon visa application but unemployed na upon my Japan visit?

I understand na medyo mahirap ipredict ang mga bagay bagay pagdating sa Immigration but I just really wanna know your opinion/insight on this based on your own experience or probably other people you know.

Thanks a bunch!

What’s your travel history like? And with whom are you traveling?

• Mhae says:

Another question po,should I strictly follow the scheduled activities and flights?Cant I deviate from it?I’m planning to write about the tour around tokyo. But if ever my application gets approved can I do multi-city tour?

• Aire says:

Want to travel with my boyfriend. Asian countries pa lang napuntahan ko so far, South Korea is one of them.

Thanks for the response!

18. Mhae says:

Hello
      I have an apartment. What will I write in occupation?is it Business owner or Self employed?and the name of employer? is it Self or the name of apartment?

19. rosita rama says:

Hi! I plan to leave on January 2020 can I apply now for Visa?

20. Jake says:

Hi!

Thank you for the detailed guide. I plan to visit my aunt/cousins and probably spend the Christmas/new year holidays there. Is it alright if I fill my itinerary with tourist activity even tho I will be staying at their house?

First time and personal expense. Thank you!

Yep! That’s fine. When I handle my cousins’ applications to visit my sister, I also put tourist activities in the itinerary.

21. ANGELIQUE says:

Hi Sir I would like to ask kung required po ba na ung ipapasa na birth certificate from local register this year din nakuha meron po kasi ako copy ng Civil Registry Form No. 1A kaso year 2016 pa. Yung PSA ko po kasi medyo malabo letter E sa name ko

22. Uma says:

Hello po. Ask ko lang about number 20. Yung guarantor lang po ba FROM japan yung ilalagay na details? O kahit na from philippines din? Bali group po kami, ung brother ko ung magguarantor sakin. Salamat po sa isasagot po nyo.

Hi Uma, nasagot ko na po ito sa ibang comments sa taas.

Iba-iba yung stance ng travel agencies about that. May nagsasabi na ilagay ay N/A kasi para lang daw yan pag sa Japan ung guarantor. Meron naman nagsasabi na ilagay dyan ung guarantor kahit nasa Pilipinas. Tawag ka na lang sa agency kung saan ka mag-aapply kasi iba-iba talaga.

23. Jane says:

Hello! Good day!

Meron po akong gurantor/sponsor sa Japan, He’s a Friend, Permanent resident na po sya sa japan, do I still have to pass and ITR and Bank certificate kahit meron naman na po syang pinadalang mga papers like ITR/Bank certificate.

Though I don’t have ITR and COE yet because kaka pasa ko pa lang po sa boards, ano po kayang possibleng ipakita ko for proof na uuwi ako sa pinas, though I have an exam this October 27, for med. Okay na po kaya yun and my review center?

So much appreciated po for the answer.

24. Mark says:

Hi sir.. ask ako about itr, below 250000 yong sahod ko annualy, so tax extemted ako, paano ba yan sir? need ba resibo sa itr? tnx

Hi Mark, usually kahit tax-exempted, meron pa rin dapat na ITR from your employer. Nakalagay lang na zero tax.

Di naman need ng resibo sa experience namin.

If wala ka talaga ITR, pwede ka gumawa ng explanation letter kung bakit. Pero mas maganda talaga kung meron.