Yonago City and the greater Western Tottori are served by Yonago Kitaro Airport, named after the famous Japanese manga, GeGeGe no Kitaro. Although called Yonago Airport, it is actually located in Sakaiminato, a neighboring city.
However, Yonago isn’t as busy as other key airports in Japan. It is only connected to mostly domestic destinations and Hong Kong and Incheon (Seoul). Many travelers visit Yonago as part of a grander Japan itinerary. Usually, they come from Tottori City, Osaka, Hiroshima, or Fukuoka. They also use other gateways like Kansai Airport or Fukuoka Airport, which are linked to way more destinations around the world.
If you want to visit Yonago City from Osaka, Hiroshima or Fukuoka, the cheapest mode of transportation is the bus. Although the train is a good option too, it is way more expensive. If budget is a concern, the bus is the way to go. Here’s how to do it.
WHAT'S COVERED IN THIS GUIDE?
KANSAI AIRPORT TO YONAGO CITY
The first thing to do is to get to Osaka City Air Terminal (OCAT) located in the Namba area in Osaka’s city center. The easiest way is to travel by bus. The train is faster, but the problem with it is that you’ll have to walk for over 10 minutes from the Namba train station to OCAT. Taking the bus means you’ll get off at the exact terminal where you’ll catch another bus to Tottori.
Note that the first bus leaves Terminal 1 at 6:10am, last at 10:40pm.
Travel time is about 1 hour, but varies depending on the traffic conditions.
- At the Arrival Hall, approach the counter for AIRPORT BUS to OCAT. OCAT stands for Osaka City Air Terminal, which is located in Namba area.
- Purchase a ticket to OCAT. Fare: ¥1050. They will need your passport so make sure you have it ready. You will be given both the ticket (white) and a receipt (green).
- Proceed to Departure Platform 11 (or whatever platform number you’re told).
- Wait for the bus at the platform. If you have big bags, the staff will take them and tag them. You will be given a slip that you’ll need to claim your bags upon arrival at OCAT so don’t lose them.
- Board the bus when it arrives. The driver will check your ticket. Find your seat number and get comfy. The travel time is around 1 hour, depending on traffic.
- Alight at OCAT. The arrival area is the same area where you’ll be boarding the bus to Tottori.
That’s it! You’re at OCAT. From here you will need to board another bus to Tottori City. I’ll enumerate the steps below.
OSAKA TO YONAGO CITY
At the Osaka City Air Terminal (OCAT), purchase a bus ticket to Yonago. There are multiple journeys a day.
Travel time: 3.5 hours (regular day bus), 5 hours (overnight bus)
Alternatively, there are also buses bound for Yonago at Osaka Umeda.
FUKUOKA AIRPORT TO YONAGO CITY
To get to Yonago City from Fukuoka, you need to get to Hakata Station first. The bus is the cheapest option. Here’s how to do it.
- Get a ticket from a ticket machine. Even if you approach the manned counter, you’ll be pointed to the ticket machine.
- Go to Bus Stop #2.
- Ride the City Bus (Nishitetsu bus).
Travel time: 15-20 minutes.
HAKATA STATION TO YONAGO CITY
From Hakata Station, here’s how to get to Yonago City.
- Walk to the 3rd floor of Hakata Bus Center.
- Purchase a ticket to Yonago. Fare: ¥8700.
- Proceed to Platform 35 and wait for your bus.
Travel time: 7.5 hours.
HIROSHIMA TO YONAGO CITY
You can take a bus either from Hiroshima Station (Platform 3 near the Shinkansen entrance) or Hiroshima Bus Center. Purchase a ticket first before going to the assigned platform. There are 6-7 buses a day, operated by Hiroden Bus, Nihon Kōtsū, and Hinomaru Bus.
Travel time: 3.5 hours.