Known for its distinctly spicy yet delicious cuisines, age-old temples, and backpacking streets, it’s no wonder why Bangkok is one of the most visited cities in Asia. Strategically situated along the “Banana Pancake Trail”, Thailand enjoys the influx of tourists along with its benefits such as keeping the existing different business sectors flourish and encouraging the establishment of new ones.
Bangkok as the capital city seems like a juxtaposition of traditional and modern. You will see shopping malls, corporate buildings, and hotels interweaving with historical structures like temples and shrines, floating markets, and the iconic tuk-tuk. Khao San Road is very popular among backpackers and local artists. This one kilometer stretch is lined with budget guesthouses and hotels, quaint shops and cafés, bars, massage parlors, market stalls, and many more!
Silom, on the other hand, is teeming with everything that is contemporary — banks and other financial institutions, luxury hotels and fine dining restaurants, and the notorious night scene spot, Patpong. The Skytrain (BTS Sala Daeng Station) and the Underground (MRT Silom Station) both stop in Silom; these two stations are linked to each other by a bridge. Khao San Road and Silom are two of the top-ranked tourist destinations in Bangkok. Most visitors book their hotels in one of these two districts.
Bangkok has two gateways: the new Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) and Don Mueang Airport (DMK). The former (BKK) is located 30 km west of the city center and serves most of the airlines flying to Bangkok, both domestic and international. The latter (DMK) is 25 km north of the city center and serves the low-cost airlines.
WHAT'S COVERED IN THIS GUIDE?
AIRPORT TO BANGKOK CITY CENTER BY TAXI
Most of us get intimidated by taking taxis abroad lest they incur more than what we plan. But taxis in Bangkok are not too expensive compared to other countries; you just have to insist on using the meter.
- Surcharge is collected PER RIDE, not per person.
- If you are coming from Suvarnabhumi Airport, you need to pay additional ฿75 expressway toll fees.
SUVARNABHUMI AIRPORT TO CITY CENTER
Coming from Suvarnabhumi, the most recommended way to reach the city center is through the AIRPORT RAIL LINK. This will save you time because you won’t have to deal with the infamous traffic jams of Bangkok. The railway connects the airport to the city’s BTS Skytrain — BTS Makkasan Station (฿35) and BTS Phaya Thai Station (฿45). The travel time is about 25 minutes.
The railway’s airport station is located at the basement of the passenger terminal. Train operation starts at 6 am until 12 mn. The train departs every 15 minutes.
Suvarnabhumi Airport to Silom
- VIA BTS MAKKASAN. The more convenient route is via BTS Makkasan. It will only require one transfer but takes longer. When you alight at BTS Makkasan Station, transfer to the MRT Blue Line (MRT Petchaburi Station) bound for Hua Lumpong. Alight at MRT Silom Station. The fare from MRT Petchaburi to MRT Silom is ฿24. The total fare from the airport to Silom Station is ฿59.
- VIA BTS PHAYA THAI. The faster route is via BTS Phaya Thai but requires two train transfers. When you alight at BTS Phaya Thai Station, transfer to BTS Sukhumvit Line bound for Bearing. Alight at BTS Siam Station. The fare is ฿23. From there, do another train transfer to BTS Silom Line bound for Bang Wa. Alight at BTS Sala Daeng Station. The fare is ฿23. The total fare from the airport to Sala Daeng is ฿91.
Suvarnabhumi Airport to Khao San Road
If you booked a hotel in Khao San, you can get off at either BTS Makkasan or BTS Phaya Thai station. Take a cab to your hotel. The fare is approximately ฿60.
DON MUAENG AIRPORT TO BANGKOK CITY CENTER
If you are arriving at Don Mueang Airport, your best options are bus and MRT as the airport is not connected to the Airport Rail Link yet.
Don Mueang Airport to Silom
- When you arrive, go to the exit and search for BUS A1.
- Board the bus and get off at MRT Chatuchak Park Station (Blue Line).
- Hop into a train on the MRT Blue Line bound for Hua Lamphong.
- Alight at MRT Silom Station. The fare is ฿40. Note: Silom Station is the 13th stop from Chatuchak Park Station.
Don Mueang Airport to Khao San
If you are staying in Khao San, going there is much easier as you will only need to ride a bus that will transport you directly to Khao San area.
- When you arrive, go to the exit and search for BUS A4. The fare is ฿50.
- Get on the bus and alight at Khao San. Walk to your hotel.
Where to Stay in Bangkok
- Let’s Zzz Bangkok. Check Rates & Availability!
- La Moon Hostel. Check Rates & Availability!
- Kinnon Deluxe Hostel Coworking Cafe. Check Rates & Availability!
- Green Teak House. Check Rates & Availability!
- The Printing House Poshtel Bangkok. Check Rates & Availability!
Search for more Bangkok Hotels!
2️⃣0️⃣1️⃣9️⃣ • 3️⃣ • 3️⃣1️⃣