“Mayon is the most beautiful mountain I have ever seen, the world-renowned Fujiyama (Mt. Fuji) of Japan sinking into perfect insignificance by comparison.”
—British traveler-writer A. Henry Savage Landor

Yay, I can’t find any other way of opening this blog entry than with that quote by A. Henry Savage Landor, a traveler-writer from the UK.

Since I was a kid, I had heard a lot of great things about the Mayon Volcano — active, most active, unstable, volatile, angry, beautiful, grand, great, perfect. I had never been this excited to see this restless terrain.

Mayon Volcano, or Mount Mayon, is well-known around the world as the “perfect cone” volcano, thanks to its almost symmetric conical shape — a unique feature. It is also the most active volcano in the Philippines, having erupted almost 50 times in the past 400 years alone. The site is also a protected landscape and a natural park.

On our third day, we had to leave the Hunongan Cove early since we still needed to go to Albay and be overwhelmed by the beauty that was Mayon. After we packed our things we took our breakfast and left the cove at around 8:15AM. When we arrived in Legazpi, the imposing volcano was already attracting me. It was really overwhelming. It was perfect. And I’m not just talking about its shape. Aaah, I can’t describe it properly. It gave me goosebumps. It was a perfect sight to behold. Perfect perfect perfect.

Well, here are some information about Mayon Volcano:

• located in the eastern end of Albay, around 300 kilometers southeast of Manila
  • stands 2462 meters above sea level
  • covers an area of 250 square kilometers
  • surrounded by the City of Legaspi and the municipalities of Daraga, Camalig, Guinobatan, Ligao, Sto Domingo, Bacacay, Malilipot, and Tabaco
  • is classified a composite cone or a strato volcano
  • causes four types of volcanic activities: lava flows, rai-triggered debris flows, pyroclastic flows, and air-fall deposition

So there. Pretty dangerous huh? Especially that it has erupted several times, with its latest just last year. (Or was it this year?)

We also dropped by Daraga Church but I will talk about that on a separate post. :)

Anyway, here’s how much I spent for this 3D-3N trip in the Bicol Region. It’s not as “budget” as I intended to be. It’s actually one of my most expensive trips but it was worth it. I wish we also visited Donsol, though.

Expenses Breakdown:

• Plane Tickets – PhP1,500.00
  • Board, Lodging, Land and Boat Transfer (Package) – PhP6,100.00

Vins Carlos

Chief Castle Builder at WanderGeneration Inc.
Vins is the Poor Traveler's co-founder and resident SEO master. He always finds himself lost during travel. But he loves unfamiliar territories and finding his way around. Aside from his taste for adventure, he loves two things while traveling — food and more food. Stalk him on his Photo Blog or follow him on his Instagram account!

Comments

1. Joy says:

The first time I saw Mayon Volcano I was awestruck. Words couldn’t describe the beauty that was Mayon. It looked like a picture-perfect postcard whichever angle I was seeing it. It is the focal point of Albay itself. A perfect background. I was tongue-tied just trying to absorb the beauty I was witnessing. The whole month I stayed in Albay never diminished the immensity of God’s perfect creation. After 35 years, the image of its haunting beauty remains fresh in my memory.

2. Anonymous says:

loved the way you presented this entry. i too is a fan of this majestic beauty. and continuously strengthens every time i visit the place. i just hope there would be more places to stay and things to do for the newcomers.

3. shewhohasbeen says:

i hope you have given more info..esp the expenses..
    or maybe Im asking too much :)

4. aileen says:

perfect tlga ang mayon. may x-factor sya. :D been to albay couple of times na pero everytime nakikita ko ang mayon d ko pa dn mapigilan mapa-wow.

5. Alex Mar says:

never seen Mount Mayon before…..but at least…I’m being proud for the volcano to be the world’s natural perfect cone…

6. daLLen says:

with its beauty @ shape that captured our heart & attention,, no question that this is worlds 8th wonder,,we must treasured it..

7. daLLen says:

‘DARAGANG MAGAYON’ its a perfect name 4 its beauty & shape..viva!!!bicolano’s,,

8. Eron Salazar says:

Amen to that! And… Don’t settle with photos. See it with your own eyes! Truly, a wonder!

9. Aileen Maglalang Batimana says:

Datz true indeed however its really hard to promote tourism in our country due crime and politics. I hope it will improve in pnoys time

10. May Soriano- Dela Cruz says:

“Perfect”! Majestic! that’s how I described Mayon Volcano ! saw her beauty 2 yrs ago…

11. Lutie Mopan says:

True,true,true c”,) my father is from Bicol and my mom and sis used to go every year to Peñafrancia in Naga and they go on sidetrips to Albay to see it and the Cagsawa ruins

12. but less photograh by travel photograpers here in the US, we need to expose the beauty of this majestically doubted as most perfect volcano here in America.

13. Yes I agree! Read about the princess, Mayon, now. Or maybee Mayon was her uncle? Nobody know the right.
    There are two places I want to visit in Philippines, Mayon and Taal lake. Two of the most pretty and exciting places on our earth!

14. Monalisa Edrada says:

Why Mt. Fuji is overrated? It’s in Japan, modern tech and Asia’s economic cntr. And Phil. Just beautiful natures ( hidden beauty) until FB people expose it.

15. Cody L Brown says:

I was there on vacation a long, long time ago when I was very much younger and everytime I stepped out of my cousin’s house the Mayon Volcano was a sight to behold. It was almost ethereal in it’s beauty, ever present but somehow had a dreamlike quality to it. Just unforgettable beauty!

16. Max Telford says:

It is a beautufull mountain. A number of years ago I ran from Legaspi to the top of Mayon and back again, so I have very special feelings about Mayon Volcano

17. jimwell says:

The Philippines is really amazing and beautiful country, blessed with many wonderful sceneries, look at that MAYON VOLCANO, The world’s most perfectly cone shape Volcano,you really fell in love to this beautiful perfect cone shape Volcano, especially when you see it in personal, you say WOW ! to this Magnificent beautiful God creature.The Philippines is really a beautiful country.