Whether traveling for leisure or work, taking the expressway is still the fastest way to get from Manila to most of the surrounding provinces. These major thoroughfares have become the main arteries in the ever growing (and congesting) circulatory system of Luzon.
Non-professional or professional, private owners and businesses will soon be required to get RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) for their cars and service vehicles. All expressways and tollways are mandated by the Department of Transportation to switch to a cashless payment system. This directive reduces the probability of spreading viruses and other highly contagious diseases through human contact.
WHAT'S COVERED IN THIS GUIDE?
What is RFID?
Before anything else, let’s have a quick background.
In Luzon, there are two kinds of RFID: Autosweep and EasyTrip.
- Autosweep, valid for expressways and tollways managed by the San Miguel Corporation (SMC) — Skyway, SLEX, NAIAX, STAR Tollway, MCX, and TPLEX.
- EasyTrip, valid for expressways managed by Metro Pacific Tollways Corporation (MPTC) — CAVITEX, CALAX, C5 Link, NLEX, and SCTEX.
Go to the registration and installation site nearest you. Upon registration, you will have a sticker tag attached to either your windshield (left) or headlamp (left) and your RFID account card. The sticker tag will serve as your vehicle’s ID and will trigger the RFID reader when you enter the electromagnetic field radius.
In the event that your sticker tag can’t be read, you just need to present your RFID card to the toll attendant. Always keep the physical card with you.
How to reload my RFID account using GCASH?
There are many ways to add value to your RFID account. In this article, we’ll be focusing on GCash transactions, so here’s the step-by-step process of reloading using your GCash account.
- Log in to your GCash account.
- Go to PAY BILLS.
- Click the icon for TRANSPORTATION.
- Choose the RFID you wish to reload — Autosweep RFID or EasyTrip.
- Fill out the form. You need to give these details: RFID account number, the amount you wish to load, and your email address (optional). Then click NEXT.
- You will be directed to the confirmation page. Check the details you provided.
- Click CONFIRM. You’re all done!
A P10 convenience fee will also be charged for this transaction.
Note: Minimum amount for reloading is P200. Make sure that your GCash account has enough balance before proceeding.
GCash also has a video tutorial here:
More Ways to Reload RFID
Aside from GCash, you can also reload using any of the following methods! Just choose what is most convenient or whatever best suits your preference.
- Express, Online, and E-wallet: GCash, PayMaya, Coins.ph, Eon, JustPay.To, ExpressPay, E.CPay, E.Tap, TouchPay
- Online Banking Partners: Bank of Commerce, Union Bank, Chinabank, Maybank
- Gasoline Station Partners: Petron & Shell
- Mall Partners: SM, Robinsons, Rustan’s, Walter Mart
- Supermarket Partners: SM Hypermarket, Savemore, Robinsons Supermarket, Shopwise, Wellcome, The Marketplace
- Convenience Store Partners: Treats, 7/11, Family Mart
- Others: Bayad Center, LBC, DA5, RD Pawnshop, Tambunting, ShareTreats
- Express, Online, and E-wallet: GCash, PayMaya, Coins.ph, SmartMoney, Eon, JustPay.To, E.CPay, TouchPay
- Online Banking Partners: BDO, UCPB, Metrobank, MasterCard, Visa, Bancnet
- Mall Partners: SM, Robinsons, Walter Mart
- Convenience Store Partners: 7/11
- Others: Bayad Center, LBC, Posible