When I was a kid, there used to be a vacant lot where my cousins and I loved to play every afternoon. Although mostly grassy, I still welcomed the sight of wildflowers here and there. Butterflies were few, but what I enjoyed the most was chasing dragonflies!
Today, that green patch only exists in my memory. And so are the other fields that were converted into industrial properties and towering skyscrapers. Thankfully though, more and more land developers are including green spaces in the plans. Flower parks are other initiatives that double as tourist attractions.
One of the most colorful flower parks that we have set foot on recently was Zhongshe Flower Market. Also called Chung-she Flower Garden, it covers about six hectares of land in Taichung City’s Houli district. It is well-known for its low-altitude tulip blooms every first quarter of the year and the dreamy picture-perfect backdrops and props. Aside from the tulips, it also features other flowers like sunflowers, sage, cosmos, rose, and many more.
For first-time visitors, here are some of the things you might want to know before you go.
WHAT'S COVERED IN THIS GUIDE?
What are the operating hours of Chung-she Flower Garden?
The flower park includes the actual Flower Garden Zone, BBQ Zone, and Potted Culture Zone. The flower zone and the potted culture zone share the same operating hours. The BBQ zone also follows the same hours on weekdays but has extended hours on weekends.
Monday to Friday
8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
All Zones: Flower Zone, Potted Culture Zone, and BBQ Zone
Flower Zone and Potted Culture Zone: 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
BBQ Zone: 8:00 AM – 9:00 PM
How much is the admission ticket?
The ticket rates differ depending on the season or months. Rates for children, senior citizens, and PWDs are half the regular adult tickets.
- January to March: NT$ 150 (Adults) / NT$ 75 (Children, Seniors, PWDs)
- April to December: NT$ 130 (Adults) / NT$ 60 (Children, Seniors, PWDs)
- If you plan on dining at the BBQ zone, avail of the BBQ Unlimited Meal, which comes with FREE admission to the flower park. We will talk about this later.
- The adult age range is 13-64 years old. For children, it is 3-12 years old. Finally, for seniors, it is 65 years old and above.
- Buy the ticket at the counter located at the Flower Zone Entrance. From the main gate, walk past the Potted Culture Zone and continue walking past the restroom and the BBQ Zone. You will reach the Flower Zone entrance after the Family Fun Park.
- The Flower Zone is the only area that requires an admission ticket. All the other spots inside the Flower Zone is included in the entrance fee.
- The park admission fee does not include other activities like the rides in the Family Fun Park area and the BBQ meal.
When is the best time to go?
Well, it depends on which flower bloom you want to witness and experience. If you want to see the famed tulips, the best months are January to March. For other months, there are other seasonal blooms that provide an equally picturesque background for your photo sessions. Here’s a list of flower blooms per month for reference:
- January-March: cosmos, tulip, lily, colorful calla lily, sage, rose, African touch-me-not, red sage, marigold, and water lily
- April: same as January to March but without the tulips
- May: sunflower, cosmos, lily, sage, sulphur cosmos, rose, African touch-me-not, red sage, marigold, and water lily
- June: sunflower, sage, sulphur cosmos, rose, marigold, lotus, and water lily
- July-August: sunflower, sage, sulphur cosmos, rose, lotus, and water lily
- September: same as July to August but with red sage
- October: sunflower, sage, sulphur cosmos, rose, red sage, and water lily
- November: cosmos, lily, sage, sulphur cosmos, rose, African touch-me-not, red sage, and water lily
- December: cosmos, lily, colorful calla lily, sage, rose, African touch-me-not, red sage, marigold, and waterlily
How to get to Chung-she Flower Market from TRA Taichung Station?
TRA Taichung Station is one of the major stations not only in Taichung but also in the country. It is the best jump-off point to Chung-she Flower Market.
Via Tai’an Station
- From Taichung Station, take the train on the west line to Tai’an Station. The fare is NT$ 34. The travel time is about 35 minutes.
- From Tai’an Station, you can either take a cab or walk to Chung-she Flower Market. The cab fare is NT$ 40 per person (good for 5 pax). Travel time is around 5 minutes. If you choose to go on foot, you will get there in 15-30 minutes, depending on your pace.
Via Houli Station
- From Taichung Station, take the train on the west line to Houli Station. The fare is NT$ 31. The travel time is about 30 minutes.
- From Houli Station, take a cab to Chung-she Flower Market. The cab fare is NT$ 150-200. You can also take Uber for about NT$ 80. Travel time is around 5 minutes.
What are the attractions inside the park?
- Flower Zone. This is the main attraction. This takes up a huge percentage of the park. Colorful flowers blanket the ground all year round but offering a different look from time to time, depending on the flowers in season. Feast your eyes on the different varieties of tulips, sage, cosmos, and more!
- Photo Backdrop Areas and Props. The Flower Zone is peppered by dreamy and charming props, serving as photo backdrops, as well as landmarks, inside the extensive flower park. Chung-she is a famous destination for a wedding or prenuptial photography. But aside from being a romantic place, it also caters to family and friends.
- Family Fun Park. This area is located between the Flower Zone and the BBQ Zone. Preceding the entrance to the flower park, the Family Fun Park is the section where children can enjoy simple yet fun rides and other kid-friendly activities.
- BBQ Zone. With a seating capacity of 800 people, this is said to be the largest indoor BBQ place in Central Taiwan. Enjoy an all-you-can-eat meal with an unlimited supply of meat and other barbecue ingredients — pork, beef, chicken, sausage, tempura, tofu, vegetables, soup, toast, black tea, and many more!
- Potted Culture Zone. After a fun-filled time at the flower park, you can also take home with you a plant or two for souvenirs. They sell potted plants and succulents, flower seeds, vegetable seeds, saplings, gardening tools and materials, fertilizers, etc. This is located at the park’s main gate near the road.
Is there a nearby restaurant or food place?
YES! Well, you must know by now that you got Central Taiwan’s biggest indoor barbecue place inside the park — the BBQ Zone. This is a self-service restaurant where you will get all the ingredients from the pantry-like area near the cashier. Grab a tray and dump all the meat, veggies, meatballs, and seafood. Iced tea is free-flowing from designated stations around the restaurant. Unli-rice? You bet!
The staff will prepare the table and provide you with cooking utensils, paper plates, cups, spoon and forks, and tissue. Condiments are available too.
Wait, there’s more! If you decide to dine here, you will be rewarded with a free admission pass to the Flower Zone. Meaning, you don’t need to pay a separate fee to enter.
IMPORTANT! If you want to avail of the BBQ Zone’s FREE admission pass, go to the BBQ Zone first to receive the ticket, even if you don’t intend to eat at that moment. Don’t buy straight from the Flower Zone’s ticket counter. The BBQ+ticket combo will still cost the same even if you have an existing ticket that you purchased from the Flower Zone.
Can we still avail of the promo if we arrive early for lunch?
YES. You just head straight to the BBQ Zone’s cashier area and reserve your slots. After that, you are free to enter the Flower Zone after you present the meal stub/ticket to the staff at the Flower Zone’s ticket counter. Enjoy exploring first, and then you can head back to the BBQ Zone when you are hungry and ready to feast on the unlimited barbecue.
How much is the unlimited BBQ meal per person?
It depends on the months and the guest’s height. Here are the rates:
- October to May: NT$ 350 (Above 140cm) / NT$ 220 (100-140cm)
- June to September: NT$ 300 (Above 140cm) / NT$ 180 (100-140cm)
- Prices may change without prior notice. Kindly check the website or refer to the rates onsite.
- No pets allowed.
- There are a few non-meat choices like tofu and vegetables.
- For a group of fewer than four people, there’s an extra NT$ 50 charge for the use of cooking utensils.
- There’s a time limit though. You can enjoy unlimited food for a maximum of 150 minutes or 2 1/2 hours.
- The BBQ Zone is open until 9PM on Saturdays and Sundays.
Where can I contact the management for further inquiries?
- Address: No. 469-13, Sanfeng Road, Houli District, Taichung City, Taiwan
- Landline: 04-2557-6926
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Official Website: www.flowerjs.com.tw
Other Chung-she Flower Market Tips
- Don your best OOTD for a profile-worthy photo. But also ensure you are wearing comfortable clothes and footwear.
- Bring sun protection or apply sunscreen lotion/cream.
- Be mindful of other people. As much as possible, don’t take too much time taking photos. Let others enjoy the spot too.
- Have your mobile phones charged full or bring a power bank.
- Bring your own refillable water container to keep yourself hydrated.
Where to Stay in Taichung
If you decide to make Taichung City your base, here are some of the nearby hotels and lodges available on Agoda.
- Norden Ruder Hostel Taichung. Check Rates & Availability! ✅
- Star Hostel Taichung Parklane. Check Rates & Availability! ✅
- Loosha Hostel. Check Rates & Availability! ✅
- Stray Birds Taichung Hostel. Check Rates & Availability! ✅
*Image courtesy of Agoda.
Search for more Taichung Hotels!
2020 • 8 • 15